Praha hlavní nádraží (English: Prague main railway station, abbreviated Praha hl.n ) is the largest and most important railway station in Prague in the Czech Republic. It was originally opened in 1871 and named Franz Josef Station after Franz Joseph I of Austria. During the First Republic and from 1945 to 1953 the station was called Wilson station ( Czech: Wilsonovo nádraží ) after former President of the United States Woodrow Wilson. His statue stood in the park in front of the station before torn down by German authorities when the U.S. entered the war in 1941. In 2010, the station served 132 560 trains and 22 million passengers. The Art Nouveau station building and station hall were built between 1901 and 1909, designed by the Czech architect Josef Fanta, on the site of old dismantled Neo-Renaissance station. The station was extended by a new terminal building, built between 1972 and 1979, including an underground station and a main road on the roof of the terminal. The new terminal building claimed a large part of the park, and the construction of the road cut off the neo-renaissance station hall from the town. In 2011 a refurbishment of the station was completed by Italian company Grandi Stazioni, which has leased retail space for 30 years from 2002. The station is an international transport hub, handling services to Germany ( Munich / Nuremberg, Bavaria - Bohemia RE (Regio-Express) services, and EuroCity / EuroNight services to Berlin, Dresden and Hamburg ), Poland, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Serbia, and Croatia in summer. Services are operated by express trains, and also by ČD Class 680 Pendolino trains. In addition to the international services, trains serve most of the larger Czech cities, such as Brno, Plzeň, České Budějovice and Olomouc. The station is served by most of the Esko Prague lines which are not dispatched from the nearby Masaryk Railway station. The station is served by the Prague Metro 's Line C, and numerous tram routes call outside the station.