The Elephant Gate (Elefantporten), also referred to as the Elephant Tower (Elefanttårnet), is the most famous landmark of the Carlsberg area, the original brewery site of the Carlsberg Breweries, which is now under redevelopment as a new neighbourhood in Copenhagen, Denmark. It takes its name from four large granite elephants which flank the gate, standing back to back, carrying a small tower on their backs.
Completed in 1901, the Elephant Gate was built at the same time as the Ny Carlsberg Brewhouse. Together with the original Ny Carlsberg building and the Dipylon, they completed the main Ny Carlsberg complex around a central courtyard. The new Elephant Gate made the entrance to the brewery from the Valby side, complementing the Dipylon which marked the entrance coming from the city.
The space above the gate originally served as a water tower and herb silo. The elephant feature, which was Carl Jacobsen's own idea, was inspired by Bernini 's obelisk carrying elephant on Piazza della Minerva in Rome. The upper tower, which has a floor area of only 115 sqm, is built in red, ornamental brick. It has tall, round-arched windows and is topped by a copper clad onion dome.