Zecca of Venice
The Palazzo della Zecca is a 16th century building in Venice which once housed the official mint and offices responsible for coining money.
This building, rustic and robust in its external surface, stands in stark contrast to the elegantly decorated Biblioteca Marciana next door. Both buildings were designed by Jacopo Sansovino. Today, the Zecca serves as a supplementary space to the Biblioteca Marciana.
Originally, Zecca had stood in the Rialto district and then it was moved closer to the offices of the Republic located around the Piazza San Marco. This Zecca building was erected from 1537-1545, and built from solid blocks of Istrian marble. Since the mint formerly had ovens with high temperature, little wood was used in construction. The entry archway designed by Sansovino’s pupil, Vincenzo Scamozzi. The statues were carved by Girolamo Campagna and Tiziano Aspetti. The courtyard has a statue of Apollo by Danese Cattaneo. The minting of ducats and coins ceased in 1870, when Venice joined the Kingdom of Italy.