St. Martin in the Fields is an Anglican church located at the northwest corner of Trafalgar Square in the district of Westminster in London.
The church, built by James Gibbs in 1721 on the remains of a different church that had been ravaged by the Great Fire of London in 1666, came in for a lot of criticism because of its architecture. However, in a short time it went on to become an example of colonial architecture, inspiring most Anglican churches in the United States.
Architecturally, the interior of the church is in the Baroque style, however on the outside the main entrance is reminiscent of a classical portico with Corinthian columns topped by a triangular pediment. At the top of the entrance porch there is a clock-tower, topped by an octagonal structure.
Inside, the church is beautifully decorated and has superb acoustics that makes it a great place for hosting concerts of classical music, jazz and choral singing. It also has an impressive barrel vault, decorated in stucco by the Italian architects Giovanni Bagutti and Giuseppe Arturi.
The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields (ASMF), which is housed in the church, is an English chamber orchestra founded in 1959.
Similar places by:
|Geographical coordinates||51.5075919, -0.1277491|
|Address||WC2N 5 City of London, Trafalgar Square|
|Construction dates||1720 - 1726|
|More information||official website|