Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History
The Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and Military History (French: Musée Royal de l’Armée et d’Histoire Militaire; Flemish: Koninklijk Museum van het Leger en de Krijgsgeschiedenis) is a museum that occupies the two northernmost halls of the historic complex in Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels, Belgium.
At the exhibition of 1910, that was held in Cinquantenaire Park, a section on military history was presented to the public and met with great success.
Given the enthusiasm of the population, the authorities created a military museum within the international context of extreme tension which led to the Great War. The museum was originally installed on the site of the Abbaye de la Cambre and moved to the Cinquantenaire Park site in 1923.
The collection originally consisted of a set of exhibits collected by an officer, Louis Leconte. Approximately 900 pieces were brought together, the collection was later heavily enriched by legacies, gifts and exchanges. Leconte was particular in choosing from equipment abandoned by the Germans in 1918.
Today, it is possible to find uniforms, weapons, vehicles and military equipment of all ages and all countries there.
The North Hall hosts the permanent aviation exhibition. The collection includes various types of aircraft, some dating back to the beginning of the twentieth century. The collection is one of the largest in the world.