Piazza del Popolo
The Piazza del Popolo is one of the most famous squares in Rome and symbols of the Eternal City.
The gate Porta Flaminia, which once was used by those coming from the north, leads to the square. It was created in the 2nd century being a part of the walls of Aurelian. The today's appearance is the same as the project of Vignola from 1560. In the middle of the 17th century, Bernini added scrolls and the coat of arms of Alexander II, a friend and a patron of the previous queen of Sweden, Christina. She came to Rome and for that occasion the arms was created.
From the Piazza del Popolo starts the famous Campus Martius and the Vatican. There is also the so called 'trident' of famous Roman streets: Via del Corso, Via Babuino and VIa della Ripetta. Two, by all appearances identical, churches designed by Rainaldi and Bernini mark out the beginning of Via del Corso. On the right side, there is the Santa Maria dei Miracoli, and on the left the Santa Maria dei Montesanto. After looking closer, one can see the difference in between their domes. Both glorify the images of Madonna, which are regarded as miraculous.
In the middle of the square there is an obelisk situated, which was brought to Rome by Octavius Augustus. Originally 24-metres high, the obelisk had stood in the Circus Maximus. It was moved to the Plazza del Popolo in the end of the 16th century. In 1800, a base was added to the foundation of the obelisk. It is adorned with decorative plates, as well as marble sculptures of lions of Valadier. The square is limited with with two semicircular low walls, creating a platform on the neighbouring Pincio Hill.
Inside of Piazza del Popolo you can also find: Santa Maria del Popolo ,