The Piazza Navona is a square located in Rome, Italy, which was commissioned by Pope Innocent X and built on the site of the Stadium of Domitian.
The Stadium of Domitian, also known as Circus Agonalis, was erected in the Campus Martius in 86 mostly to host chariot races but also athletic competitions. Its ruins partly remained in cellars of the building on the northern side of the square.
Sixtus IV, in 1477, transferred a market here from its former location on the Capitol. It was functioning in the Piazza Navona till 1867. To commemorate that an annual Christmas market is held with decorations and souvenirs being sold here.
The Piazza Navona was transformed into a highly significant example of Baroque Roman architecture and art during the pontificate of Innocent X. In 1647-1651 Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini designed and created the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi in the centre of the square. Nowadays, in the centre there are two more fountains: del Moro by the same author and of Neptune by Giacomo della Porta. Innocent X also commissioned the rebuilding of the temple at the Piazza between 1652 and 1670. It was supposed to replace a chapel from the 4th century in the site where the Early Christian Saint Agnes was martyred in the ancient Stadium of Domitian. Her tomb is located in the church of St. Agnese fuori le mura.
Inside of Piazza Navona (Navona Square) you can also find: Piazza Navonas' Fountains ,
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||VII Via Lata (14 regioni di Roma augustea)|
|Geographical coordinates||41.8989088, 12.4730590|
|Address||00186 Rome, Piazza Navona|
|Construction dates||86 -|