The Moulin Rouge (Red Mill) is a cabaret created in 1889 by Joseph Oller, the owner of the Paris Olympia, and Charles Zidler. It is located near the hill of Montmartre in the Paris district of Pigalle (18th arrondissement) on Boulevard de Clichy and can be easily recognized by the red windmill placed on its roof.
The origins of the Moulin Rouge go back to 1889, when a new music hall was opened in the city of Paris. Joseph Oller and Charles Zidler, the founders of the hall, nicknamed it "Le Premier Palais des Femmes" (The First Palace of Women). The club quickly became popular for its dance shows, during which young and attractive Parisian girls hypnotized the audience with their flexible and sensual moves characteristic of the so-called Can-Can dance. It is believed that the Can-Can performances gave rise to the cabarets in Europe. The shows were vulgar and licentious, and, in consequence, the club soon gained a reputation as a brothel. During that time, the painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec created a number of paintings and posters depicting the scenes of the Moulin Rouge.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the club was transformed into a fashionable music theatre known for its extravagant cabaret shows which started attracting a high-class audience. Today the Moulin Rouge is a popular tourist destination, offering nightly shows during which over 100 dancers dressed in flamboyant outfits with feathers, rhinestones, and sequins entertain visitors from all around the world. Extravagant dance performances and impressive sets make this place an interesting site for the adult audience.
|Neighbourhood||Grandes-Carrières (18th Arrondissement - Buttes-Montmartre)|
|Price||normal : 150.00|
|Geographical coordinates||48.8841200, 2.3324700|
|Address||75018 Paris, Boulevard de Clichy|
|More information||official website|