Frederik's Church (Frederiks Kirke), also spelled Frederick's Church in English, and popularly known as The Marble Church (Marmorkirken ) is a church in Copenhagen, Denmark. The church was designed by the architect Nicolai Eigtved in 1740 and was along with the rest of Frederiksstaden, a district of Copenhagen, intended to commemorate the 300 years jubilee of the first coronation of a member of the House of Oldenburg.
The foundation stone was set by king Frederick V on October 31, 1749, but the construction was slowed by budget cuts and the death of architect in 1754. In 1770, the original plans for the church were discarded by Johann Friedrich Struensee. The church was left incomplete and, in spite of several initiatives to complete it, stood as a ruin for nearly 150 years. A further consequence of this lapse was that the original plans for the church to be built almost entirely from marble had to be discarded and instead construction was completed mostly with limestone. The present version of the church was designed by Ferdinand Meldahl and financed by Carl Frederik Tietgen. It was opened August 19, 1894. A series of statues of prominent theologians and ecclesiastical figures, including one of the Danish philosopher Kierkegaard, encircles the grounds of the building.
Frederick's Church has the largest church dome in Scandinavia with a span of 31m, though there are three larger domes elsewhere in Europe. The dome rests on 12 columns. The inspiration was probably St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.