The subsidized Britz Residential Estate was built on the fields of Britz manor between 1925 and 1933 according to plans by Bruno Taut and Martin Wagner. The project was initiated by a housing cooperative established to combat the shortage of affordable living space. Numerous blocks and terraced houses in New Objectivity style with colorful facades include more than 1,000 apartments, situated in spacious gardens designed by landscape architect Leberecht Migge.
It is one of six Berlin Modernism Housing Estates (Siedlungen) that testify to innovative housing policies from 1910 to 1933, especially during the Weimar Republic, when the city of Berlin was particularly progressive socially, politically and culturally. Estate is inscribed on UNESCO World Heritage List.