The University of Wrocław (Uniwersytet Wrocławski) is one of nine universities in Wrocław, Poland. Former, German university was founded in 1702 as Leopoldina, and re-founded in 1811 as Schlesische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität zu Breslau. History of a contemporary Polish university started in 1945, after the area passed to Poland, the university was established primarily by academics from the former University of Lwów. From 1952 to 1989, it was officially named in honour of Bolesław Bierut, The First Secretary of the Polish Communist Party and so known as Uniwersytet Wrocławski im. Bolesława Bieruta. At the request of the town council King Vladislaus II of Bohemia and Hungary signed the foundation deed on July 20, 1505.