Jaffa Light (מגדלור יפו ‎, not to be confused with Cape Jaffa Light) is a lighthouse in Jaffa, Israel. It is located on a hilltop above the old Jaffa Port. It operated between 1865 and 1966, although it is still used as a daylight navigation aid.

Jaffa Light was built by French engineers in 1865. It was built as part of operations carried out by the Ottoman authorities to improve the port facilities, mainly due to the increase in export of citrus fruit, and especially oranges, the well known "Jaffa oranges ".

In 1936 the British expanded the port and rebuilt the lighthouse. In 1965 Port of Ashdod was built, replacing Jaffa Port. In 1966 the crystal glass was taken to be used in the Ashdod Light, and the lighthouse was shut down. Jaffa Port become a small craft port.

The lighthouse keeper from 1875 was an Armenian who came from Jerusalem. He was trained by the same French company who built the lighthouse. Around 1938 his son was trained by the same French company and replaced him, probably as result of the lighthouse being rebuilt. His grandson, Abu George, was the "technician", responsible for keeping the lamp lit. The son was the official keeper until the lighthouse was shut down in 1966.

The lighthouse is fenced and closed to the public, though the site is open. The lighthouse appeared on a stamp issued in 26 November 2009 in Israel.

Source of description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffa_Light wikipedia

Similar places by:

Category definition of category lighthouse
Material definition of material
Price definition of price
Geographical coordinates 32.0534580, 34.7505060
Address Tel Aviv,
Construction dates - 1862

How to arrive