The Graeco-Roman Museum of Alexandria in Egypt was created in 1892. It was first built in an 5-room apartment, inside one small building in Rosetta Street (later Avenue Canope and nowadays Horriya). In 1895, it was transferred to another building that only had eleven rooms. More rooms were added later to this building, now located near Gamal Abdul Nasser Street. There are a lot of pieces from the 3rd century BC, like a nice sculpture of Apis in black granite, the sacred bull of the Egyptians, mummies, sarcophagus, tapestries, and a lot of objects and sculptures that offer us a view of graeco-roman civilization in contact with Egypt.
The museum is currently closed for renovation. Its vast collection, gathered together over these hundred years, is the product of donations from wealthy Alexandrians as well as of excavations led by successive directors of the institution, both within the town and in its environs. Certain other objects have come from the Organization of Antiquities at Cairo (particularly those of the Pharaonic period) and from various digs undertaken at the beginning of the century in The Fayoum and at Benhasa (Middle Egypt).
Housed within an historic building (back cover) whose beautiful neo-classical facade of six columns and pediment bears the large Greek inscription, ‘MOYΣEION’, the Museum consists of 27 halls and an attractive garden, which offer an excellent introduction to the Greek and Roman art of Egypt.