The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) is Scotland 's only independent art school offering university level programmes and research in architecture, fine art and design.
Founded in 1845 as the Glasgow Government School of Design, it changed its name to The Glasgow School of Art in 1853. Initially it was located at 12 Ingram Street, but in 1869 it moved to the McLellan Galleries. In 1897, work started on a new building to house the school on Renfrew Street. The building was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, chosen for the commission by the school's director, Francis Newbery, who oversaw a period of expansion and fast-growing reputation. The first half of the building was completed in 1899 and the second half in 1909. The School's campus has grown since that time and in 2009, an international architectural competition was held to find an architect-led design team who would develop the Campus Masterplan and design the Phase 1 building. The Phase 1 building is opposite the Mackintosh Building on a site now occupied by the Foulis, Assembly and Newbery Tower Buildings. The competition was won by New York based Steven Holl Architects working with Glasgow based JM Architects.
The school has produced most of Scotland's leading contemporary artists including, since 2005, 30% of Turner Prize nominees and three recent Turner Prize winners: Simon Starling in 2005, Richard Wright in 2009 and Martin Boyce in 2011. Disciplines include Fine Art Photography, founded by Thomas Joshua Cooper in 1982, Painting and Printmaking, Sculpture and Environmental Art, Product Design, Product Design Engineering, Textiles, Silversmithing and Jewellery, Interior Design, Communication Design, Digital Culture and Architecture.
The school currently has three separate campuses, with Fine Art, MFA, Sculpture and Environmental Art being located in the vicinity of the Mackintosh building, and the School of Design - Textiles, Jewellery & Silversmithing, Product Design Engineering, Product Design, Communication Design and Interior Design departments,the Centre for Advanced Textiles, Design Innovation Studio and the Refectory cafeteria, a second branch of Where the Monkey Sleeps, a city centre cafe and restaurant run by three ex-graduates are located in a new, temporary, campus the Sky Park, in Finnieston whilst the developing the current Garnethill campus is on going.