The Vigeland Museum (Vigeland-museet, often called Vigelandsmuseet ) is a museum in Oslo, Norway.
Its history began in 1919 when noted sculptor Gustav Vigeland made an offer to Oslo Municipality to donate his works sometime in the future. Vigeland's total body of works consisted not only of sculptures, but also woodcuts, drawings, sketches and photographs as well as letters, other writings and a personal library. In return, Vigeland wanted an atelier. The atelier could be rebuilt as a museum after his death. Even Vigeland's flat on the third floor was preserved as a part of the museum.
The building of the would-be museum commenced in 1921, as soon as a contract between Vigeland and Oslo had been formalized. The architects were Lorentz Harboe Ree and Carl Buch, and the style was neo-classic. In 1923 Vigeland moved in, one year before the middle part and northern wing were completed. The southern wing was completed in 1930. The atelier was used by both Vigeland and other artists.
Vigeland died in 1943, during the hard economic times of World War II. The building was opened as a public museum in 1947, partially thanks to budget surplus from the municipal cinema company Oslo Kinematografer. The museum is still owned by Oslo municipality via its etat of culture, and the current museum director is Jarle Strømodden.
Similar places by:
|Price||normal : 50.00 child : 0.00 (age <7) youth : 25.00 (age 7-18) student : 25.00 (age 18-26) retired : 25.00 (age 65<)|
|Geographical coordinates||59.9228500, 10.7001300|
|Address||0268 Oslo, Nobels gate 32|
|More information||official website|