The Historic Building of the University of Barcelona is located in the Plaza Universitat de Barcelona and currently houses the Faculties of Humanities and Linguistics.
The origins of the institution date back to 1450. It remained the only university in Catalonia and the Balearic Islands until 1968.
Today, the building, which has distinct medieval features, was built and expanded by the architect Elies Rogent in 1873, with a main front wall and two rectangular towers on either side, one of them with a clock. The building consists of three main buildings and beautiful cloisters as well as a central hall which can be entered through the main door of the building. It also contains an ancient library, a chapel and a lot of classrooms, some of which have been renovated and modernized in a way that they retain the original structure.
Despite being in the heart of the city, it is not a particularly popular tourist destination and even though there are many students walking around this area, it is a very quiet place. The visit to the schoolyard of the Linguistic Faculty is highly recommended.