The Courthouse (Palau de Justicia in Catalan) is a building located on the Passeig de Lluís Companys in Barcelona, close to the Triumpahl Arch and the Ciutadella Park. It was built between 1887 and 1908 and designed by architects Enric Sagnier and Josep Domènech. Together with the building of the University of Barcelona in Plaza Universidad it was one of the earliest public buildings erected in the city. It was included in the Cerdà's Plan.
The building was used by the Courts of Barcelona and the Audiencia of Barcelona and today houses the 'Tribunal Superior de Justicia de Catalunya' (Court Superior of Justice of Catalonia). The building consists of two bodies of rectangular geometry crowned by domes on each side and a central building. Those lateral bodies house the courts, while the central one contains the main entrance and the staircase as well as the Salon de los Pasos Perdidos, all covered with iron arches and decorated by Josep Maria Sert's paintings. Inside the building, there are also a lot of sculptures of different figures related to the practice of law and the study of law, and a large sculpture designed by Andreu Aleu which represents 'The Justice'.
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||La Ribera (Ciutat Vella)|
|Geographical coordinates||41.3902929, 2.1824585|
|Address||08018 Barcelona, Passeig de Lluís Companys 14|
|Construction dates||1888 - 1911|
|How to arrive?||official transport site|