St Katharine Docks, located between the Tower Bridge and Tower of London in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, is a marina as well as a shopping and entertainment area.
The docks were built between 1825 and 1828 on the site of the medieval hospital of St Katharine, after which they took their name. To build the docks, not only the church, but also 1250 other houses standing on the 10-hectare area had to be demolished. The inauguration of the docks took place on 25 October 1828. During the Second World War they were bombared by the Germans, suffering extensive structural damage as a result. In 1968 they were sold to the Greater London Council as they could no longer accommodate large modern ships.
In the 1970s, the docks were transformed into a marina and a popular housing and leisure complex. Today, this area houses numerous shops, pubs, restaurants, public and private buildings, as well as a large luxury hotel.