The Schillerpark Settlement was the first metropolitan housing project in Berlin during the Weimar Republic, which was a period of experimentation and social reform, aiming at improvement of living conditions. Although the flats were modest, they were functional and had all sanitary facilities. The red bric on the facade is an result of Taut's inspiration from dutch architecture by J.J.P. Ouda.
Due to some damages caused by the World War II it was rebuilt in 1951, by Max Taut (a brother of Bruno Taut). Between 1954 and 1959 some extensions were made by Hans Hofffmann.
Schillerpark have been signed on the UNESCO list in july 2008.
Source of description: planerGO
This object belongs to Modernist Housing Estates in Berlin
Similar places by:
|Geographical coordinates||52.5610000, 13.3510000|
|Construction dates||1924 - 1930|
|More information||official website|