Sandviken is a traditional neighbourhood of Bergen, Norway. Geographically it is located geographically north-east of the city center. The neighbourhood begins north of Bergenhus Fortress, and follows the coastline facing west. Sandvik Road is the main thoroughfare through the area, which mostly consists of residential buildings. Sandviken has around 13,000 inhabitants. The early development of Sandviken consisted largely of water mills and shipyards. Later, traders from Bergen built landing places and warehouses in the area. Sandviken was long an isolated suburb of Bergen. The road to Sandviken traveled through Ladegården. The new, wider route to Sandviken was established during 1869-1873.
Gamle Bergen Museum is an outdoor museum in the neighborhood of Sandviken. Museum Association was established in 1934, and the museum opened to the public in 1949. It is now part of the City Museum in Bergen. It is built around the old former country retreat of Elsesro. The Open-air museum has buildings from 1700 - and 1800's that have been moved from different areas of this site. Old Bergen is a reconstructed town with approx. 50 wooden houses. The buildings consist mainly of one-and two-story wooden house with paneling.
Sandvik Church (Sandvikskirken) is a wooden and stone hall church from 1881. The church has a slightly narrower polygonal ended choir in the east and a tower in the west that is located in the church's long axis. The church had gneiss as a building material with exterior cladding of granite. Sandviken parish was established on 29 July 1874. The competition for a new church was won by architect Ernst Norgrenn. But after his death in 1880 the plans were modified and completed by architect Schak Bull. The church was completed in autumn 1881 and inaugurated in December 1881.