The Palais Bourbon is a building located on the left bank of the Seine in Paris, close to the Place de la Concorde (which is located on the right bank). It is the official seat of the National Assembly, the lower legislative house of the French government.
The palace was built at the beginning of the 18th century for the daughter of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan, Louise-Françoise de Bourbon, who was the Duchess of Bourbon. The construction started in 1722 and was completed in 1728. It was designed by the Italian architect Lorenzo Giardini and later by Jacques Gabriel, who took over the project after the unexpected death of Giardini in 1724. Next to the palace, a mansion, known as Hôtel de Lassay, was erected in 1768 by the Marquis of Lassay, who funded the construction of the Palais Bourbon.
During the French Revolution the palace was confiscated, declared national property and, from 1795, used by the Council of the Five Hundreds, which was the higher legislative chamber of the French government. During the Consulate and the Empire, the it housed the Legislative Body, which was presided over by Fontanes. Between 1804 and 1807 the north front of the building was constructed in the style of the Madeleine church located on the other side of the Seine, with its characteristic colonnade. Also a gallery was added to the construction, joining the Palais Bourbon and the Hôtel de Lassay.
Since the inauguration of the new chamber in 1832, all of France's first parliamentary assemblies have sat in the Palais Bourbon.
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||Les Invalides (7th Arrondissement - Palais-Bourbon)|
|Geographical coordinates||48.8619701, 2.3187127|
|Address||75007 Paris, Quai d'Orsay|
|Construction dates||1722 - 1728|
|More information||official website|