The Luxembourg Palace (Palais du Luxembourg) is a building located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, north of the Luxembourg Garden, near the famous Latin Quarter. It was built between 1615 and 1627 in the northern part of the Luxemburg Garden (Jardin du Luxembourg).
The construction of the Palace was commissioned by Marie de Médicis, regent of France, who wanted it to be based on the Pitti Palace in Florence, her native country. In the end, the architect Salomon de Brosse designed the building in a style typical of French palaces, with a court with main living quarters and a chapel facing the garden, as well as the two wings surrounding it. Throughout its existence, the building has been remodelled numerous times. In consequence, in the 19th century, a new garden façade was added to the building by Alphonse de Gisors as well as a cycle of paintings to the library by Eugène Delacroix. In 1750, the Palais du Luxembourg, with about 200 paintings, became the first French museum to be open to the public. Later, during the French Revolution, it also served as a prison. During the Second World War, the palace was used as the headquarters of the Luftwaffe. Today, the building houses the French Senate.
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||Odéon (6th Arrondissement - Luxembourg)|
|Price||normal : 12.00 child : 7.50 (age <7)|
|Geographical coordinates||48.8487745, 2.3340351|
|Address||75006 Paris, Rue de Vaugirad|
|Construction dates||1615 - 1631|
|More information||official website|