La Sainte-Chapelle (The Holy Chapel) is a chapel located on the Île de la Cité in the centre of Paris which was part of the Capetian royal palace.
The construction of the chapel, was commissioned by King Louis IX in 1239 to house his collection of Passion Relics, including the Crown of Thorns and a fragment of the True Cross, which he purchased from Byzantine Emperor Baldwin II for a price about four times bigger than the cost of the chapel itself. The main architect of the chapel was Pierre de Montreuil, also known for his work on the Saint-Denis basilica and part of the Notre-Dame Cathedral. It was consecrated on the 26 April 1248 and today it is considered one of the greatest achievements of the Rayonnant period of Gothic architecture. The Holy Chapel was badly damaged during the French Revolution, but was carefully restored after the war. Some of the most valuable relics that were recovered are now housed at Notre-Dame.
Sainte-Chapelle is 36 metres long, 17 metres wide and 43 metres tall. It has one single nave with a chavet containing seven panels. The slate roof is crowned with a 19th century 33 meter high cedar spire. The chapel is best known for its extensive collection of the 13th century stained glass windows. In 1862 it has been listed as a national historic monument.
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||Notre-Dame (4th Arrondissement - l'Hôtel-de-Ville)|
|Price||normal : 11.00|
|Geographical coordinates||48.8553370, 2.3451240|
|Address||75001 Paris, Bd du Palais|
|Construction dates||1242 - 1248|
|More information||official website|