The Angels' Convent ("El Convento de los Ángeles" in Spanish) is a monastery which was home to the Third Order Dominicans and is located on the Àngels street, near the MACBA museum. It was built in the years 1562-1566 and was designed by the Gothic master Bartomeu Roig. The main nave of the monastery consists of five central sections, the side chapels supported by buttresses, and an apse in the shape of a polygon. In a simple façade, there is an eye-catching Renaissance portal depicting a guardian angel, which is one of the most important portals in Barcelona. Inside the monastery, there are also three halls surrounded by columns and the 16th-century chapel on the Peu de la Creu street which contains the plaster of the Holy Sepulchre from 1569. This chapel was incorporated to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Barcelona (MACBA) and has been used for various purposes, such as exhibitions, plays and concerts.
Similar places by:
|Neighbourhood||El Raval (Ciutat Vella)|
|Geographical coordinates||41.3823183, 2.1680384|
|Address||08001 Barcelona, Carrer dels Àngels 3|
|Construction dates||1562 - 1566|
|How to arrive?||official transport site|