Castel Gandolfo it is a small village near to Rome. Is situated on the Lazio, a crater of extinct volcano. Castel Gandolfo is on a tourist trial of the Roman Castles (Castelli Romani).
This place is called the Albanian Hills (Colli Albani) by the Romans. Due to its location in the middle of green areas, mild Mediterranean climate and proximity to the see this area was a holiday resort for the upper-class Roman and nobles since ancient times. In the Middle Ages Castel Gandolfo was taken over by the Papal States.
Papal Palace was built and designed by Carl Moderna in 1628. During the pontificate of Pope Urban VIII Berberini a castle on the hill, which belonged to Gandolfy family, was taken over by the Vatican City. Also this time the papal villa was established here. Thanks to that the place has become a favorite leisure activity by church dignitaries. The construction ended in the middle of 17th century.
In 1870 the Papal residence was passed to the Italian Government, soon after the overthrow of church authorities. After the Lateran Treaty was signed up between the Holy See and the State of Italy in 1929, Castel Gandolfo acquired the status of extraterritoriality and was incorporated into the papal possessions. In this year were carried out the last restoration work in the palace.
During the pontificate of Pope John Paul II Castel Gandolfo became not only a place for a short rest. There are organized numerous meetings with the faithful, scientific symposia’s. It was also a place where he had the opportunity to devote himself to creative work, like writing
Sitios similares por:
|Coordenadas geográficas||41.7501679, 12.6505103|
|Dirección||00040 Castel Gandolfo, Via Antonio Gramsci 9 - 15|
|Fechas de construcción||1628 - 1628|