St. Nicolas Church is the oldest church in Gdańsk, erected in the late 12th century. In 1227 Świętopełk, Prince of Pomerania, bestowed the church on the Dominican friars, who were invited here through the persistent efforts of St. Jacek Odrowąż. The church combined with the monastery existed from 1348. This Gothic building was the only survivor of the wartime destruction. In the mid-15th century it was domed with a stellar vault and its towers were made higher. The interiors of the church hide rich, authentic, early Baroque decoration.