Municipal gasworks in Poznan on the Island Grobla. The first construction works started in 1853. Its designer, commissioned by Mayor Eugene Naumann was a British architect John Moore. Starting apparatus for gas production from coal was on 14 of November 1856, and supplied 414 lanterns connected to the urban installation. After a year of gasworks supplied about 1,500 customers.
In 1970 a pipeline supplying natural gas was constructed. Fuel switching, meant that after 117 years of operation, in 1973, the quenched gas plant was closed. Currently the building is managed the Wielkopolska Spółka Gazownictwa which gradually restores buildings of the old gasworks.