The Hungarian Academy of Sciences Magyar Tudományos Akadémia) is the most important and prestigious learned society of Hungary. Its seat is at the bank of the Danube in Budapest. The history of the academy began in 1825, when Count István Széchenyi offered one year's income of his estate for the purposes of a Learned Society at a district session of the Diet in Pressburg (Pozsony, present Bratislava, seat of the Hungarian Parliament at the time), and his example was followed by other delegates.
Its task was specified as the development of the Hungarian language and the study and propagation of the sciences and the arts in Hungarian. It received its current name in 1845. Its central building was inaugurated in 1865, in neo-Renaissance style. Today it has eleven main sections: The Széchenyi Academy of Literature and Arts ( Hungarian: Széchenyi Irodalmi és Művészeti Akadémia ) was created in 1992 as an academy associated yet independent from the HAS. Some of the known members are György Konrád, Magda Szabó, Péter Nádas writers, Zoltán Kocsis pianist, Miklós Jancsó, István Szabó film directors.The president is László Dobszay musical historian.