Łódź - information about the city

Łódź ( [wut​͡ɕ]; Yiddish: לאדזש, Lodzh ) is the third-largest city in Poland. Located in the central part of the country, it had a population of 742,387 in December 2009. It is the capital of Łódź Voivodeship, and is approximately 135 kilometres (84 mi) south-west of Warsaw. The city's coat of arms is an example of canting: depicting a boat, it alludes to the city's name which translates literally as "boat".

Łódź - tourist attractions

markerA Julian Tuwim's Bench in Lodz Julian Tuwim's Bench is a bronze monument unveiled by Wojciech Gryniewicz on 10th of April 1999 at Piotrkowska 104 in front of the Juliusz Heinzel Palace in Lodz. The statue shows a life-size Tuwim sitting on a bench in the pose of making an impression as if the poet was listening to someone sittin... Julian Tuwim's Bench in Lodz - photo
markerB Old Town Park in Lodz Old Town Park in Lodz (known as Herring Park) is located between streets: West, Ogrodowa, Franciscan and Wolborska. It has an area of 17.0 hectares. It was built in the years 1951 - 1953 by the project of K. Chrabelski. The park is located in the Old Town in the valley of river Łódka, which is nowa... Old Town Park in Lodz - photo
markerC Old Market Square in Lodz Old Market Square in Lodz is located in the central-northern part of Lodz. It has the form of a large rectangle measuring about 105 to 85 m. From 3 sides - from the north, east and west is surrounded by typical houses with arcades. The buildings on the west side of the square are separated by street... Old Market Square in Lodz - photo
markerD Church of St. Joseph in Lodz Church of St. Joseph in Lodz is lokated on street Ogrodowa 22. It is the oldest church built in Lodz, the only building which remembers times of agricultural Lodz. Since 1910, the church is the seat of the parish of St. Joseph. The temple was built in the years 1765 - 1768 by Bishop Anthony Ostrows... Church of St. Joseph in Lodz - photo
markerE Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Łódź Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Łódź is located in the oldest part of the city's and is the oldest parish of Lodz. Since the establishment till the second half of the eighteenth century it belonged to the Archdiocese of Gniezno. In the absence of written documents, the exact ... Parish of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Łódź - photo
markerF Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Łódź The Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Łódź was completed in 1884, during the period when the part of Poland was part of the Russian Empire. It was designed by the city architect Hilary Majewski. The church was built in the style of Russian-Byzantine, basing on an octagonal plan with five apses... Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Łódź - photo
markerG Robert Schweikert Palace Robert Schweikert Palace is home to Theodore Robert Schweikert (son of Frederick William Schweikert) located at Piotrkowska 262/264 in Lodz. The building was constructed in 1910 and designed by Romuald Miller. It is a small, neo-Baroque detached palace with a representative courtyard ,which is mark... Robert Schweikert Palace - photo
markerH White Geyer Factory White Factory is the name of the Ludwig's Geyer building at street Piotrkowska 282 in Lodz. It is a complex of classical buildings, one of Poland's oldest example of industrial architecture. It was built between 1835 and 1837. White Factory was the first mechanical spinning and weaving factory. Th... White Geyer Factory - photo
markerI Lagiewnicki Forest in Lodz Lagiewnicki Forest - forest complex located within the administrative boundaries of the city of Lodz, occupying an area of 1 205.45 ha, being the largest recreational area in Lodz. It is now one of the largest forests located within the city limits in Europe. The name of the forest comes from the v... Lagiewnicki Forest in Lodz - photo
markerJ St. Anthony church in Łódź-Łagiewniki St. Anthony of Padua Church in Łódź-Łagiewniki - Baroque Franciscan parish church, built in the first half of the 18th century, located in Łódź-Łagiewniki (central Poland). Since 1946 it belongs - along with the monastery - to the historic buildings of Łódź. The church of St. Anthony of Padua was b... St. Anthony church in Łódź-Łagiewniki - photo

Relevant data

Geographical coordinates: 51.75, 19.4667
Approximate population: 742,387

The oldest constructions

The highest points

The longest objects

Most active architects

Famous architects born in the city

Famous architects who died in the city