The church of Santa Maria del Pino, Santa Maria del Pi in Catalan, meaning St. Mary of the Pine Tree, is a Catalan Gothic church located in the city of Barcelona, in the heart of the Gothic Quarter, in the Ciutat Vella (Old Town).
Built during the fourteenth century, according to various documents between the years 1319-1390, consists of a single nave in Catalan Gothic style. However, the earthquake in 1428 left the building highly damaged and its reconstruction can be classified as the Gothic or the Neo-gothic. It was also partly destroyed because of a bombing during the War of Succession or the fires of the Spanish Civil War. It has been rebuilt several times and restored. The last and most prominent reconstruction was supervised by Francisco de Paula Villar Lozano.
It was built on an old 10th-century Romanesque church that had been dedicated to Santa Maria del Pi. The plan of the church consists of a nave with seven rectangular bays covered with ribbed vaults and chapels between the buttresses. Among various facades are the one with the Door of Hail Mary and the main one with a large rosette of 10 meters in diameter. It was rebuilt after the Spanish Civil War, respecting the original design of the rose, by Josep Maria Jujol. The rest of the facades have been left hidden due to endless reconstructions, like conservation of a gate from 1578 in its rear facade. Inside stands an altar made of alabaster and baroque chairs, among other minor decorations. The original windows were not preserved and currently the oldest one is the window of The Adoration of the Magi from 1718, designed by Antoni Viladomat. A construction of the church's 54 meters high octagonal bell tower was supervised by Bartomeu Mas and complited around 1461. The tower, which can be seen from several viewpoints of the city, is an orthogonal structure and is the most characteristic feature of the building. Inside there is a ring of six bells.
The area around the church is a meeting point of artists and craftsmen.
In 1926 it gained the title of Minor Basilica, granted by Pope Pius XI and was declared A Bien de Interés Cultural( a category of the Spanish heritage register) in 1931.